Sunday, March 10, 2013

Drip, Drop, Drip, Drop, mmm H20

It's essential, honestly.  Our body weight is about 60% water (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283).

I didn't normally drink water like I should have been when I was younger.  Of course, when I was an athlete and a power lifter, water was my second best friend.  I drank nearly a gallon a day due to muscle requirements while I was a power lifter.  When I was playing Varsity golf in the Nevadan summers I probably drank just as much if not more.

I know there are some out there that feel water is just that, water.  It's essential!  You need it!  We can lose valuable water through breathing, sweat, waste removal (yes I'm being sugar-coated), and we need to replenish that.  Your bodies balance of processes needs water.

I'll admit, I love my Diet Soda (<---shocker I know, but I promised I'd be real with you).  I'm working hard to keep it low and get to the point of not needing it.  I suffer from ocular migraines and the neurologist wants me to have caffeine each day along with my more natural medications (due to being preggo) to help keep them at bay.  I'm down to one a day now most of the time.  However, I desire to get most of fluid intake from just water.

I love my water. I am now to the point I just like it ice cold, no flavors added.  Occasionally I like to add in some Crystal Light or Oceanspray to it, but all in all, I just like it ice cold.

Did you know that drinking water before a meal can help you consume up to 100 calories less than normal?  The trigger for thurst is often mistaken for the trigger for hunger.  A good rule of thumb is to drink a glass of water prior to a meal or snack to help prevent overeating and let's be honest here, get you the water your body needs.

If you ever want to know how much water you should be drinking in a day, check out this neat little tool I found.  http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm

Have a hydrated day!





Photo courtesy: http://ecowomen.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/water.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I am trying hard to do only 1 Diet Dew per day and drink 10-12 waters...it is hard since I stopped adding flavors too:)

    ReplyDelete